Monday 5 October 2015

New additions

We've had a very special addition to our family! My gorgeous sister-in-law, Jade, gave birth to another handsome little man on Friday. Meet Harrison Joshua, little brother to our gorgeous Mackinlay.
I promised Jade a handmade baby changing bag which seemed only fair when she was creating this handsome little bundle. My energy levels have been extremely low recently so it was a case of doing little bits of construction as and when I felt up to it. I revisited an old favourite pattern for the purpose. The slouchy mama bag is voluminous which is just what you need when you have lots of baby stuff to cart around. I used one layer of interfacing and two layers of batting in the exterior shell and quilted a grid pattern using Aurifil to provide a sturdy exterior in the hope that it will live up to daily use.
I pulled lots of fun prints from Tula Pink, Cotton + Steel, Rhoda Ruth and paired them with this gorgeous deep orange kona solid. I figured the prints were grown up enough to be suitable for mummy and interesting enough to entertain small boys on bus trips.
I used some of this awesome tiger print from Tula Pink's new Eden range and felt very proud of myself for sharing one of my favourites ;) It's not as selfless as I'd have you believe really, as I have yardage of this print for a dress!
I added my first (and probably last) concealed interior pocket so there would be somewhere safe to put keys/purse etc. if Jade wanted to leave here handbag at home. I can't even tell you the amount of swearing that was involved in putting this pocket in. No idea why it was such hard work as it's simple enough in theory! As is usual when I make something like this I fell in love with it but I'm sure Jade will love it too and I'll still get to see it often...

While I'm on the subject of bags, there's a free pattern designed by me on the Quilt Now blog for this simple patchwork tote bag.
I hope all is good in your corner of the world. Catch you soon x

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the arrival of the gorgeous Harrison! I love his nappy bag!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to all the family! Brilliant bag too, I'm sure it will be used long after baby has outgrown it (not that he will be going inside it!!). Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huge congratulations, babies are just wonderful. The bag is really fun, and it is great to have a one off as so many baby bags look the same these days. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's adorable. May you all know the blessing of this sweet new life. Gorgeous bag for sil to tote around the many mummy things required!

    ReplyDelete

Lovely comments read with glee everyday.