Saturday 24 January 2015

Mixed up and muddled up

Some time last year I bought myself a copy of EQ7 in the hope that it would help me to design quilts in a bit more detail than I managed to achieve with TouchDraw. It sat untended for a very long time because I just couldn't wrap my head around all the learning that was needed to get to grips with it. Last week I pulled up my big girl pants and started reading the manual. I have only just scratched the surface of what can be achieved with the programme so far but I'm really enjoying the creative freedom that it delivers! You know how much I love a tessellating design, well I've come up with a really versatile one this time. I'd like to introduce - Mixed up and muddled up.

This foundation pieced block contains 26 pieces which fit together in 7 sections. I had some happy mail from Pink Castle Fabrics this week in the shape of the new Cotton and Steel range and I wasted no time in chopping into it to try out this block. I've used fabrics from Tokyo Train Ride, Playful, Cookie Book, Mesa and Mochi along with a print from one of last year's collections, Mustang.
It looks pretty as it is but when you put multiples of four blocks together,well, that's when the real magic happens! I've made four blocks so far and I can't decide which layout I want to stick with. The beauty of EQ7 is that I was able to scan the finished block and tessellate it so that I can see the potential layouts in advance :) Here are just a few of the options:
option 1
 I just love all the secondary patterns that spring out!
option 2

option 3

option 4
It is my intention to make a full-sized quilt with this design when Jen Kingwell's first fabric collection, Gardenvale, hits the stores in April (I think). I'd really appreciate some help deciding which layout to opt for!
I've uploaded the templates and a colouring sheet to Payhip in case any of you are interested in trying out your own version.
I'll look forward to seeing your thoughts on which layout option I should go for. Catch you soon x 

7 comments:

  1. Option 2, all the way!! Well done with the techie stuff xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Option 2 gets my vote! I have eq7 but don't find it easy to use or do what I want/need it to do. I need to attend a class for EQ7 numptys!! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like option 2 too. So many choices though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd go with option 2 as well. I'm doing a bit of a questions and answers session with EQ7 at the next meeting on 14th. I'm no expert but might be worth knowing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm also voting for option 2! EQ looks like it might save quite a lot of time compared to paper and pencil but it also looks like you could spend hours on there and never quite get round to doing what you intended 'cos the other possibilities need investigating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like options 1 and 2 as the designs look like they are spinning. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a software tester, nothing irritates me more than non-user friendly software, ie it isn't intuitive, and it always smacks of arrogance on the developer's part. Adobe are the same, but I grit my teeth and get on with it (and google when all else fails!), because I need some of the things in their very expensive programs. Really though, you could make a fortune advising these companies on how to make things less elitist (although I think Adobe kind of likes it that way!).

    Anywho, off the soapbox, looks like you're going well :o)

    ReplyDelete

Lovely comments read with glee everyday.