Wednesday 20 November 2013

Going crackers!

OK, so we all know I went crackers years ago but I liked the title so I'm sticking with that ;) I've been busily sewing away at a project I've had in my head for a while and today it's finished so I can share it with you. Yippee!! Here's the source of my excitement....drum roll please....the Animal Crackers Christmas tree skirt! No fancy paper piecing or templates required, a super quick finished in a weekend (or less if you're on a mission) kind of tree skirt. I've used some of my precious Laurie Wisbrun stash for this version and I just love it, well who wouldn't love a llama amongst other beasties?!
It's so satisfying when an imaginary project turns out just as you had hoped it would in real life! I contemplated digging out the Christmas tree for the photographs but I'm too much of a humbug for that in November. I've set up a page link for the free pattern at the top of the blog but thought I'd give the quickest of tutorials here for the crackers as I can envisage them in all sorts of Christmas goodies like placemats and table runners. Think of it as an early Christmas present if you're so inclined ;)
For each cracker you will need: 1 focus fabric rectangle 6.5" x 3.5", 2 solid 3.5" squares and 4 background fabric 1.5" squares.
 Mark the 1.5" background squares across the diagonal and place them right sides together with the solids squares as shown above. Sew on the marked line then trim a 1/4" seam allowance and press open. Sew the edge of the solids block with the background triangles to each short end of the focus fabric, right sides together, then press open. Hey presto!
Sash and go your own sweet way or use the tree skirt pattern, either way I'd love to see your version if you choose to make something. I've even set up a flickr group just in case you're tempted...it would be very sad if mine was the only contribution to the group but hey I follow my own blog so I am sad ;) Just time for a couple more shots that show the simple quilting and the yummy chevron binding.
As usual I outline quilted and did some basic straight lines around the top and bottom in trusty Aurifil. This red chevron from Riley Blake reminded of candy canes so it seemed the perfect choice for this project :) 
So there you have it friends, the first major Christmas make of the year and undoubtedly not the last for me. Feel free to share this picture and link if you feel like spreading the tree skirt love around :)
Catch you soon x
Edited to add: There's a PDF link at the bottom of the online pattern now :)

19 comments:

  1. Brilliant! Your pattern/tutorial is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely brilliant!!! I can see loads of uses for that cracker pattern, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your animal crackers! Thanks so much for sharing. This makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous! I will def be bookmarking these for future use! Great tute and pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it. I can see crackers on my 'want to make' list. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous! And those crackers will be popping up in all kinds of Crimbo projects. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It brilliantly crackers!!!
    And that binding is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is gorgeous and so lovely of you to share this pattern. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is fabulous R! I love it and have pinned it! Maybe one day I'll actually get making it! Thanks for the pattern, jxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this is WONDERFUL! And the llama cracker just made my day. Brilliant you are :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Best tree skirt I've seen in a long time and I don't normally like tree skirts!

    ReplyDelete

Lovely comments read with glee everyday.