Monday 16 May 2011

Nicey Jane circles and waves

Last year I took out a lovely pile of Nicey Jane fabric from my stash and starting chopping dresdens from it without thinking about what I was going to do with them....of course! This quilt should have been easy going but true to my gung-ho form not enough planning led to nightmares!! I bought some lovely brightly coloured fleece blankets from Ikea which I thought would be perfect for backing small quilts. So, I used one to back this quilt. Now please forgive me for believing that the blanket would have square edges! I didn't measure, I just assumed that they would be...d'oh! When I tried to line the sides of the blanket up with the cotton I was using for the quilt top I found that shock horror there was a serious discrepancy between the two, unfortunately I'd already sewn the sides of the blanket to the quilt top. At this point the air turned blue. I wanted to bin it but instead put it to one side for about 6 months until I could face it again. It's been exhausting work putting right my error but now finally after 9 months it's finished and ready for an upcoming wedding.








I appliqued the dresden circles and waves to the quilt top once it was attached to the backing as I didn't use wadding. I think the finished quilt belies the trouble I had getting it to this state and I hope the new owners will enjoy it. It's very bright so a bit too wild for my own taste but I think it will be perfect for it's new home. Here's a shot of the offending fleece blanket!!I'm trying to decide whether I need to do a bit more quilting but at the moment it's done in my mind :)









I can now move on with other quilts safe in the knowledge that this one isn't whispering to me from the corner :)

5 comments:

  1. Yay! Well done for facing the demon in your quilting closet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gorgeous fabrics! Well done on conquering the demon fleece - so cute and fluffy on the outside, but with serious attitude when you get close! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done for completing the quilt. Its always hard when things don't go to plan, but it's a brave girl to put the demons behind you and finish it to this standard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perseverance paid off! Well done for having the courage to not let it sit in the corner and whisper to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the encouragement ladies :)

    ReplyDelete

Lovely comments read with glee everyday.