Thursday 19 May 2011

Pooches and pickups

A couple of weeks ago I received a suprise 'thank you' package from Heather in the form of some fat quarters of Pooches and Pickups!! This is Laurie Wisbrun's new line for Robert Kaufman! I can't tell you how excited I was. I'd seen lots of people in 'blogland' making lovely things with it but hadn't got round to getting some for myself. So, Hooray for Heather!!! Today I had the urge to use some of it in a fun little project. I seem to be having a run of inspiration for little projects at the moment :)

I drew a pickup truck, kind of like the one in the fabric ('kind of like' as my drawing is not very good!) and then used the pooches and pickups for some raw edge applique.


I quilted the truck as I went along to add some texture. When the truck was finished I added little felt wheels and did lots of squiggly free-motion lines around all the pieces.


Then I made an envelope back with the blue cotton fabric and turned it into a cute cushion :) Now I just need to find someone with a small boy to appreciate it!


11 comments:

  1. That turned out adorable! Well, except for all the dogs getting run over in the road. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe I hadn't thought of that :) Yikes, traumatised children here we come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I'm sure any little boy will love this, especially the road-kill element - much more interesting! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not going to be able to look at this cushion in the same way again...so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't going to mention the road kill aspect, but I see that no one else was hesitant to point it out. If the dogs were above the truck, we could say, "Look, it's raining not cats but dogs!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's funny how I get so fixated on shape that I forget to look at the detail of the pattern.I could see the road aspect with the dots down the centre but didn't even consider the dogs in the road :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ha ha too funny! It's a really cute pillow. The cars could just be driving over the dog's shadows and the real dogs are standing in the bottom row...how about that?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, these comments have really had me laughing aloud! The cushion really is cute (but those poor pooches! snigger)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks ladies for giving me such a laugh this evening :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a fun cushion, aside from the road kill element, of course! :) I like Leila's idea of the dog's shadows. It's helped you out of a tricky dilemma!!! :) You are definitely on a roll with inspiration at the mo aren't you? :)

    ReplyDelete

Lovely comments read with glee everyday.